In Cahoots: Artists Collaborate Across Country
3 July – 8 August 2021
In Cahoots began when six Aboriginal art centres across Western Australia, Northern Territory and Victoria invited leading independent Australian artists to visit their community and work with artists to produce a significant body of new work through genuine collaboration and skills exchange.
In Cahoots exhibits the diverse results of these partnerships – there are large-scale woven installations, sculptures made from reclaimed tin, wooden objects, contemporary furniture, photographic works, paintings and much more – which speak to the distinctness not only of each community and the issues, which affect them, but to each artist’s unique perspective and skills.
In Cahoots was first shown in 2017 at Fremantle Arts Centre and was created in partnership with:
• Baluk Arts – Mornington Peninsula, VIC
• Buku-Larranggay Mulka Art Centre – Arnhem Land, NT
• Mangkaja Arts – Fitzroy Crossing, the Kimberley, WA
• Martumili Artists – Newman, the Pilbara, WA
• Papulankutja Artists – Blackstone, Central Desert, WA
• Warakurna Artists – Warakurna, Central Desert, WA
In Cahoots: Artists Collaborate Across Country is a Fremantle Arts Centre touring exhibition
Image: Tony Albert, Kieran Lawson and David C. Collins, Warakurna Superhero #1, 2017, C-type print, 100 x 150 cm. Image courtesy of the artists, Sullivan+Strumpf and Warakurna Artists